Laser for skin rejuvenation in Edmonton
Laser for skin rejuvenation in Edmonton is a trend; Aging is a cruel mistress. One morning, we can wake up and notice extra lines, discoloration, and sagging. Our mother and grandmother before her aged gracefully (well, most of them). Most likely because the thought of plastic surgery (the pain, the recovery time, and the expense) was out of the question. Today, however, we have modern, pain-free, and much more affordable techniques that can help wind back the clock without visiting a plastic surgeon. Lasers for skin rejuvenation are a unique and safe cosmetic procedure used by women (and men) worldwide.
Skin Rejuvenation vs. Skin Resurfacing
Sometimes these two terms are interchanged. However, there is a difference. Skin resurfacing involves removing layers of the skin. Skin rejuvenation refers to many treatments to improve the skin’s texture, appearance, and laxity. One treatment for skin rejuvenation is skin resurfacing.
How Do Lasers provide skin rejuvenation?
‘Laser’ is an acronym for ‘Light Amplified Stimulated Emission Radiation.’ Lasers generate a wavelength of coloured light. This light travels at a precise wavelength in a focalized beam to target problem areas in the skin. Different lasers emit different colours. To resolve the skin condition you wish to address, the laser’s light beam wavelength must be in sync with the target’s colour.
Types of Lasers for Skin Rejuvenation
Lasers are either ablative or non-ablative.
- Ablative laser treatments remove some outer layers of the skin. A local anesthetic may be required to maintain a level of comfort.
- Nd: YAG Lasers: This laser light penetrates deeper into the skin. It selectively targets even the deepest skin structures, such as deep-lying veins and hair follicles.
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing: These fractional lasers use gas and extremely brief pulses of infrared light to treat various skin issues. It removes thin layers of skin with minimal heat damage.
- Fotona Erbium Laser Resurfacing: Erbium lasers use white metal to produce an infrared laser. It removes superficial and moderately deep lines and wrinkles in the skin. It causes fewer side effects (swelling, bruising, and redness). Having fewer side effects means recovery time is faster than CO2 laser resurfacing.
- Q-Switched Nd: YAG Lasers Q-Switched Nd: YAG lasers are composed of 2 components: 1- Q-switching lasers produce concentrated energy pulses. 2- Nd: YAG lasers use a crystal as a laser medium to produce light energy. YAG laser energy pulse releases pigments into the skin to tone pigmented lesions and remove dark tattoos. The pigment is naturally reabsorbed into the skin and disposed of by the body. It is powerful enough to target the problem area but can penetrate the skin without harming it.
- Fraxel Dual 1550-1927 Laser: This laser device is two lasers in one. The 1927 nanometer wavelength improves pigmentation. The 1550 nanometer wavelength enhances skin texture. Depending on your needs, you can use them separately or together. The lasers penetrate deep into the skin to accelerate collagen production. The treatment promotes new and healthy skin cell creation from the inside out. Not just for the face and neck but also legs, chest, hands, and arms. Non-ablative laser treatments pass through the skin without removing any layers. This treatment style causes little to no pain and may only require a topical numbing cream to compensate for the discomfort.
- Alexandrite Laser: This laser uses a green gemstone to create a high-energy wavelength that can penetrate a red spectrum. The light emitted by the laser is converted to heat energy. It targets the problem area leaving surrounding tissue undamaged.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL): IPL lasers generate a wavelength of intense pulsed light. This light permeates the skin to shrink blood vessels, reduce wrinkles, or remove unwanted hair.
- Pulsed Dye Laser: The pulsed dye laser is a concentrated beam of light that targets red blood vessels. It leaves the surrounding skin undamaged.
- Picosecond Laser: The picosecond laser emits short optical pulses of high-intensity light. This laser is best suited for tattoo removal.
How to Choose a Laser for Skin Rejuvenation in Edmonton
You may wonder why there are so many different laser options. How do you choose the one that suits you? Due to the different skin types, conditions, and problems.
- CO2 lasers are ablative lasers: They are for treating scars, warts, wrinkles, and other more deep-seated skin complaints.
- Erbium Lasers are either fractional or non-fractional. They stimulate collagen production. Such stimulation of collagen production means it’s a popular treatment for fine lines, skin laxity, and pigmentation.
- Pulsed-Dye Lasers are non-ablative. The lasers heat the skin and absorb pigments. This heat will reduce pigmentation, redness, broken capillaries, birthmarks, and rosacea.
- Fractional Lasers are ablative or non-ablative. They treat only a fraction of the skin in a particular area, reducing downtime. These lasers treat age-related blemishes.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments are not precisely a laser but use light energy. It treats similar issues like acne, pigmentation, rosacea, and sun damage.
- Alexandrite Lasers are non-ablative. The lasers treat sun spots, birthmarks, and pigmented lesions. It is useful for hair removal, tattoo removal, and leg veins.
- Picosecond Lasers are ablative lasers used to treat colour tattoos and skin pigmentations.
- Nd:Yag Laser is non-ablative. It helps treat vascular lesions, pigmented lesions, skin pigmentation problems, spider veins, tattoo removal, and hair removal.
Combining Laser Treatments
Combining fractional ablative and non-ablative treatments can significantly reduce wrinkles and pigmentations. Depending on your skin condition or what results you wish to achieve, you may need to combine some different laser treatments for the best results. Reduced side effects also make this an attractive option for skin rejuvenation. Talk it over with a laser treatment specialist to determine how to get the best results for your skin.
Albany Cosmetic and Laser Centre is not just a cosmetic clinic or medical spa in Edmonton. Our mission is to restore the Younger Version of You. We pride ourselves on our lasers for skin rejuvenation treatments. We are loyal to our clients and aim to provide the best treatment possible for you.
Visit our website to organize a free consultation. We want to help you get the best results for your skin.