Understanding Your Skin
What’s Skin? Skin is our body’s largest organ, with numerous roles. Mainly, it’s our primary defense system, safeguarding us from harmful organisms. It regulates heat, aids absorption, provides sensation, and adds aesthetic appeal.
Delving into Skin Anatomy:
- This top layer has 5-6 sub-layers. It shields us from outside elements and renews roughly every 28 days.
- The Epidermis is home to various cells, including keratinocytes, melanocytes, Langerhans, and Merkel cells.
- The topmost section, the stratum corneum, serves as a protective barrier. It aids skin hydration and shields against irritants and UV light. Skin darkens or tans when exposed to UV, a result of increased melanin production.
- Procedures like chemical and mechanical peels target the stratum corneum.
- Located under the Epidermis, it’s split into the papillary and reticular dermis.
- Fibroblasts, the key cells here, produce structural proteins like collagen. Treatments for wrinkles focus on this layer.
- This fat and fibrous layer sits between the dermis and muscle. It doesn’t factor into cosmetic procedures.
Why Different Skin Colors?
The amount of melanocytes remains consistent across skin types, but melanin distribution varies. Light skin has less, clustered melanin, while dark skin has more, distributed melanin. Darker skin has a thicker stratum corneum and dermis. This leads to skin conditions like acne. Dermal blood vessels in dark skin also are more visible, contributing to hyperpigmentation.
Why Wrinkles with Age?
Aging skin’s keratinocyte maturation slows, leading to a thicker stratum corneum. This reflects light poorly, causing dullness. Aging also disrupts the epidermal barrier, allowing for increased irritant penetration and varied melanin deposition.
Understanding Skin Care Procedures:
- Gentle Procedures:
- Regular chemical peels and microdermabrasion treatments improve skin function and appearance. These treatments are gentle and ideal for maintenance.
- Mild Procedures:
- Examples include laser carbon peels and skin tightening using YAG and Q-switch lasers.
- Aggressive Treatments:
- Procedures such as microneedling and fractional lasers fall under this category.
At Albany Cosmetic and Laser Centre, we pride ourselves on being Edmonton’s top skincare clinic. We pair cutting-edge technology with seasoned medical professionals.
Our consultation is free and without commitment. Contact us to rediscover your glow.